Friday, May 22, 2009

ZOMBIE TYPE 1: PRODBLOG #3

Starting the head sculpt
Okay, I need to preface by saying: I'm not a sculptor.  My strengths are in illustration and 2-D kinda stuff, although I do all the paint masters and prototyping for the EMCE lines.  I've done enough manipulation of 3-D stuff that I figured this was a good project to experiment with.

Reason 1: It's not for a client, so it's not like we'll get in trouble if I fuck it up.

Reason 2: It's a zombie.  If I fuck it up, it'll just look like a really fucked up zombie.

Day One: Saturday, May 9, 2009
That said, it was time to grit my teeth and start pushing clay.  First, I started with the expression, figuring that this would be the place from which the rest of the head would spawn.  No idea why, it just seemed to feel right.  I have no idea what other sculptors use for an approach, and I wanted this to be one of the few times that I really let loose artistically.
Okay, that wasn't so bad.  But for the record, I prefer zombies that really look fucked up, and now that this was committed to clay, dead eyes and a sneer didn't really say "this guy got really chewed up and came back from the dead" enough to me.

Knowing that there was still more to do, I wanted to see if there was something I could do at this stage to at least start this guy on his way to looking a little more worse for wear...

Now that's better.  Nothing like plucking out an eye to give the impression that someone's been through something more vicious than a drunken brawl on a Saturday night.

That was enough for one day.  I gotta company to run, so as much as I wanted to keep going, I had to switch sides of my brain and do the math part of running a business.


No comments:

Post a Comment